One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Monday, May 3, 2010

April Showers Bring May Flowers!

Ok, so that title is not only cheesy, but it also should include January, February, and March with those April showers, because it wasn't just April bringing out the cloudy days. Nonetheless, it's fitting.

I got a job, bitches!!

Booyah!

And before we get to the sad, sappy, 'what to do with this!' part of this post, let's all rejoice for a few minutes! I am going to be making money again, meaning I can push selling my body for cash waaaaaayy back down the desperation list. I'm going to be occupied during the weekdays, meaning I won't be drinking alone all summer long when there's no one around to keep me company. I can finally go back to splitting who pays for dinner with the boy-o, and feel independent again (ok, this one's a little sad, since I like independence, but I also like lots of free meals!). I can afford an apartment, and not only the one I live in, but also a future one when my lease is up (provided I'm not unemployed again come this fall). I can get groceries! I can put gas in my car! I can purchase more work-appropriate clothes! I can afford allergy medicine and Kleenex so that I don't have to sniffle constantly anymore! I get to learn new things! I get to meet new people! I can feel like my life has a purpose again! Joy! Joy!

Ok, done rejoicing. I am very happy about this. If you couldn't tell.

The best part about this job is that it seems like a young, fun company; the position feels like it's going to be challenging in a good way; it's located downtown in the west loop area; and they are still hiring me even though I'm leaving for two weeks to go to Israel! That's the best part. I was getting really worried that someone would actually like me, offer me a job, and then when I'd tell them about Israel, drop me immediately. So, to already know that's not happening is AWESOME.

However, there are a few stipulations. It's a temp-to-perm position, so all this talk about being employed and having a job is kind of maybe not exactly true. I mean it is, because I have to do something to royally eff things up in order to not move into a permanent role there, or I might just end up hating it and decide not to take a permanent role, but there's still a chance that I struggle to succeed, or they just dislike me, or something along those lines, and then I'm out and back here once again! So that's a little scary. But, making a BIG personality twist and turn here, I'm staying optimistic and thinking that if it doesn't work out, I'll know before Israel (I guess that will be a good time in my training to evaluate me anyways, as the staffing lady put it when I told her), I'll have made some money for a month or two, and since I've done this unemployment thing for a while now, I can just start over when I get back in the country and it won't be that scary next time around. Especially since Israel is basically free. Whooo!

Ok, I realize that thinking about all of that at this point, when I don't even start the job for another week, defeats the whole "optimistic" aspect of things, but it's a step!

Anyways, that's the good news. However, the bad news is, I don't know what to do with my blog! Although many people have told me to continue interviewing "just for fun" so that I can still write in here, logically, it just doesn't make sense. Oh, I have no moral issues or anything with applying for and interviewing with other companies, but timewise, when would I do it? I can't exactly take off work to go to an interview just to write a blog 8 people read and that does nothing for my income. And I highly doubt companies would schedule after-work interviews for me, or see me on the weekend. Plus, if they did, how exhausting would that be?? Or if I used my lunch break to do it?? Oof. I tell you what, you figure out a way for me to start earning money from this blog, and we can talk about using my lunch breaks for fake interviews. I mean, at least the fact that having a job means less time at the gym wouldn't really be a big deal if I were doing that! Kidding, kidding. I would still be eating. I love food way to much to give it up just for a blog!

Anyways, I have an interview scheduled for Wednesday this week, out in the 'burbs, and you'll be happy to know that I haven't canceled it yet. Not because I want the job at all... since it sounds super sales-y and it's also IN THE SUBURBS!... but because it's one last interview I could potentially get a good story out of! And I am considering doing that, for you guys. Well, and also because I have nothing to do this week anymore, since everyone else still works and can't hang out, and because I don't have to spend the days looking online for Craigslist gems! So, if you think I should go on this interview, you should speak up or forever hold your peace. It's a 30 minute drive and a big effort from me, so I'm leaning towards NO no no no no, but I MIGHT be able to be persuaded. And you have about 30 minutes to let me know, since I need to get back to the woman earlier rather than later. Go!

Also, I need feedback on where I should take this blog next. I don't want to be done with it, but I don't want to trash my new place of employment, and I also have realized that the theatre world is way too small of a place for me to be able to freely speak about audition experiences without blacklisting myself forever (I've learned my lesson once, thanks to an earlier post and a-not-so-regulated-reader-base). So, what should I write about next? I can't be a man-huntress either, thanks to Big Time Timmy Jim (anyone catch that reference? anyone??). So, do I write about train encounters, hoping for awkward ones? Do I talk about the moments I make a fool of myself in public (which kind of happens a lot)? What shall I doooooo?? I'm also going to take a moment to give Drew a nice shoutout here, since he forwards me potential writing gigs, which is something I would never think of doing without that encouragement. So thanks Drewskizzle, and I'll let you all know when I get published in something! Hahaha. Oooh, maybe I can just write about my awkward attempts to find a freelance writing gig on top of my new job!? Since that's kind of still jub huntressing! Right??

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, but I'm expecting feedback this time. Otherwise, who knows when I'll be writing again! And who can handle facing that unknown! Yeah, I didn't think so!

2 comments:

  1. Long time reader, first time commenter-

    First, go on the interview. I vote ay.

    Second, it's about time you give me some friggin props. Jeez!

    Third, I dig Tito's new nickname. I'll help make it stick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. So what exactly is the job? I ask here because you are so famous and cool you don't return my calls. I kid, I kid... but seriously...

    2. What happened with the audition story and it getting back to someone??

    ReplyDelete