One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Friday, May 6, 2011

"Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit restless..."

Eating my words right about now.

The meet and greet was surprisingly great. First, it reminded me that I am good at talking to strangers. I don't know why or how I forgot that. Sometimes I think I'm shy for some reason, and then I get into a public place and I remember that I am the opposite of shy. Literally. I am loud and overly chatty and everything that is not meek and mild and quiet. So, next time I think that I am too shy to talk to strangers in a meet and greet, please remind me of this post, mmkay? Thanks.

Second, I realized, from remembering that I can handle myself well in group settings, that I actually kind of want to host events (what this potential part time job is about). Seriously, my favorite job EVER was doing just that in college. Of course I want to do that again! Especially when it's not for underage college kids who only want to drink and have no desire to ever attend your stupid movie night.

Third, I know the person hiring. Seriously. This world is so small sometimes, it's creepy. I went to high school with her boyfriend, she went to college with me, she knows a lot of people I know (possibly some of you, but I'm not saying more because I'm trying to be anonymous, remember??), and she's cool. Like, would be a good time to work with cool.

So what does all this mean? It means I'm so stupid. So stupid Rose, I'm so stupid. Why am I doing this to myself?? I can't get a part time job! I can't quit my current job for a part time job! In my warped little mind, I keep thinking that maybe it's just a few hours commitment a week, like one event on the weekend or something. And then I can do both. I always want everything. And I never want to compromise to get everything. So my brain keeps telling me that I will get everything, just how I want it. Logical, right? Here's the best part too. I actually heard back about that second opportunity I already wrote off (Of course. I have no patience whatsoever). And that's part time, daytime. So, in an even more twisted 'I am the center of the universe' thought process, I keep thinking about how AWESOME it would be if I got both part time gigs and lived a perfect little life...though probably sans health insurance then. But hey! It's a perfect world, so why would I even need that!?

So, this whole half-hearted job huntressing thing I decided to start up on a whim is now turning into me either working a full time AND part time job, one for income and benefits and one because I want to do something I actually like. Or it's turning into me working part time at one place and then part time at Starbucks or something too. OR it's turning into me staying put and leading people who I think are cool on and telling them I can't do this job after all.

Or they might just not like me and it won't matter.

But I guess I'll find out next week when I finished my round two interview!

Also, there were some oddddddd people at that meet and greet. Socially inept. One in particular, who seemed like a genius in terms of books and studies, but not so great at making people feel comfortable when you talked to them. I wonder if that person is going to round two. I wonder if having a beer with a group of 20 people for a hour even allows you the time and knowledge to not move someone further into the hiring process. It's either a really pointless first step, or a completely genius one. If you can't drink a beer with someone easily, why the hell would you hire them?? Ok, I'm leaning toward the totally genius method.

What isn't genius though? Having this other possible part time thing be an audition for a children's theatre company and not preparing your song/monologue at all until late Friday evening or possibly Saturday morning 10 minutes before leaving for said audition. This? Is why I wasn't doing so well with the whole "trying to be a famous actress' thing. You actually need to practice before you audition. And not tell yourself you do better sort of winging it (though I completely do!).

But look! Now I have more to write about in the near future! Rejoice!

PS...Sorry this whole "trying not to be discovered/piss off my current or possible future company/have a boatload of bad karma coming my way" is making me less snarky in here. It hurts me more than it does you, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment