One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No direct deposit for me! I'd like my paycheck in the form of a cash wad!

So, this is taking me longer to get up-to-date on where I am in my job huntressing experience right now (I'll give you a hint: it has to do with Playboy). But, ya know, who would have thought trying to find a job while also trying to write about the stories that come from such experiences would be time consuming! Plus, I need to get my free trip to Israel while I'm still young too, so that takes time as well (don't even get me started on how that website needs updating!).

Anyways, this story's short and sweet (Yes, you probably find this ironic, but I'm telling you, I write A LOT and this one is short in comparison.)

After the lovely experience with trying my hand at matchmaking, I was back to the basics of searching for a job. Aka, sitting on my couch while watching crappy daytime TV, sending my resume out to a million places, updating my Careerbuilder and Monster profiles, and selling my abilities to anyone who would listen.

And apparently this one guy would. For a second at least.

If you're at all familiar with the intensity of actively job hunting (which is very different from passively job hunting...learned that one from my brief stint at Careerbuilder!), you know that once you update profiles, you get a lot of calls for kind of crappy positions. And you can't really screen calls, because they are all numbers you don't know and you don't want to miss a one-in-a-million chance. So you answer...and answer.

So, I get this call from some guy who saw my resume online and who's looking for a part-time appointment setter. Obviously, nothing about that is ideal, but I keep listening. Turns out, it's all from home and he basically just needs someone to peruse the various resume databases out there, contact quality candidates, and set up a phone interview with them. And that's pretty much it. And you'd make $10 for each interview you schedule, and only need to take a couple of hours a day doing this work.

It sounded right up my ally, and I could still actively job hunt. Perfect.

And then he spoke the magic words...

"How comfortable would you be with under the table payments?"

Ok guys, you are going to laugh at me, but I had to ask him what he meant by that! I mean, it's not something you ever expect to hear. Plus, the word 'PROSTITUTION' was kind of drowning out any logical thought in my brain. But then I thought about it, and since I'm collecting unemployment currently, it actually sounded like a decent plan. No taxes to deal with, I'd still get my unemployment money while I was searching for a real job, and I'd have cash.

Yeah, yeah, I didn't really think about how I'd get the cash from this dude, which could have been problematic.

But it wasn't. Because he told me he'd talk to his "partner" and get back to me within the next few days about what I'd need to be doing and all of those deals.

And then he never called me back.

Of course, this wasn't a new experience in my life, having a man not call me back. And really, he was definitely in the category of men that you are MUCH better off never hearing from again.

But here's my question. If I didn't get the "job", who did?? I mean, I told him I was cool with getting paid under the table (I'm sorry, but there are just soooo many images that come with stating that phrase!) and I have recruiting experience and I worked at one of the job sites he wanted candidates to come from. So... what the hell happened there? That's not an easy question to pop on someone you're speaking with for the first time and who you don't know at all. I could have been an undercover cop, for all he knew, and shut down his business immediately.

Which brings me to my point.

He had to have gotten arrested. There's no other possible result. The dude's rotting in jail, wishing he hired me instead of calling that last person and blowing his cover.

I could have saved his life and his company.

But oh well, it's just onwards and upwards with me... and into the lovely, classy, comfortable, not-even-close-to-making-you-feel-like-you're-at-the-end-of-your-rope-and-becoming-a-waitress-at-Hooters-might-be-a-better-idea waiting rooms of temp agencies!

No comments:

Post a Comment