One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Where do we go from here?

This one's a 'To be continued...' post. I'll let you know that at the beginning so you don't get all disappointed when there's not an ending to the story yet. Because believe me, it is disappointing to not have an end to this one yet. But maybe that means a good end!?

Anywho, over three weeks ago I applied for an entry level HR position with a company that hooks up babysitters with families. Aka, a big networking resource. Now, those of you who know me are probably wondering why I am pursuing a job that deals with kids. Well, here's the thing... it really doesn't! The position would allow me to recruit babysitters and then work with a coworker on matching them with a family. Nothing like the countless day care center reception positions I have applied to, where you have to interact with the rugrats. Oof.

So, I applied, wrote a nice little cover about how much nannying meant to me when I did it for a summer in college (It meant BIRTH CONTROL, that's what it meant! I didn't write that though. That'd be awkward.) Much to my surprise, I get a call about doing a phone interview a few days later. So I work that out and talk to the girl who works mainly with the families there, and answer lots of questions.

Now, as someone who did a lot of the question-asking in the past, I enjoy hearing what kind of questions other people ask on interviews. This one might have topped all other interviews off though. After the standard questions about past positions and the like, she prefaces the next set of questions with how they're a little odd but it's what they've found to work for them. And then she tells me to just pick the one I prefer. And goes through a list:

Mountains or Ocean?
Optimistic or Pessimistic?
Cats or Dogs?

And many others. I was totally honest and it was cool because I didn't know what the hell they were looking for, but she told me afterward that they just need someone who will fit in well because there's about 3 people total in the office spending all their time together.

I like to think that it was my "Pessimistic...? I'd like to say realistic but I guess I'll go with pessimistic if those are my two options." that got me an in-person interview. Suck on that, optimists!

And two and a half weeks later? I'm still waiting on that interview.

In all fairness, the woman rescheduled once for a snowstorm and then again because her kid was sick. But, now I'm out of town for the date she suggested and I haven't heard back about rescheduling.

AND I actually think this job sounds awesome so far.

So, I ask you to cross your fingers or send me your good karma (Please! I don't know how to break my own bad karma!) or whatever, and as I said before...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment