One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Friday, April 23, 2010

¡Viva España!

Still no news about the job. Looks like I'm not going to get word until next week now. The suspense is KILLING ME.

BUT, I need to update you on that soccer club job I applied for.

Granted, I didn't think I had much of a chance of getting something good out of it because it was on Craigslist and I wrote that ridiculously-cheerleader-like rhetorical question in the middle of my cover letter. However, I did not actually think it would be a sketchy gig.

Silly, silly me.

Anyways I got this emailed response today:

Great news!


We've taken some time to look through the applications. And we've decided to make you a part of our staff. We'd love for you to come in for an interview.


We are still REQUIRED to run credit and background checks on all our employees. This is because we have a lot of private and sensitive information lying around in our office, and the nature of the work itself.


Visit this link to get the credit report; it's free of course. Simply email us the verification number--we don't require you to send us your private info via email. But we WILL need your verification number to set up your interview. The BG check will be done in person.


E-mail me if you have any questions. Look forward to seeing you soon!
--
Diego Juarez
www.childsoccerpros.com
diego@childsoccerpros.com


Let me just point out of all of issues with this email...

1. The first paragraph. All of it. They've looked through all the applications (it was posted two days ago, so I'm assuming, based on the state of unemployment in Chicago right now, more people are applying every minute still). They then decided to make me a part of their staff. And now they want to interview me. But why would you interview me if I'm already a part of the staff?? That just seems redundant!

2. I'm going to switch up the way this was written, because I think the emphasis belongs on a different word here. "We are STILL required to run credit and background checks..." I'm sorry, but that word "still" seems to scream WE'VE HIRED SKETCHY PEOPLE BEFORE AND IT IS STILL AN ISSUE!!

2b. Let's talk about credit checks for a moment. I have been asked to do one for a job interview so far in my months of huntressing. I think it's weird to begin with, since my credit has nothing to do with my capability to succeed at a job, but I guess I get it? Plus, that one was for a bank. And then they hired internally, so I never got the credit check anyways. I have barely any credit to begin with, so credit checks are not only pointless to do on me but also hurt me more than someone with a lot of credit. So thanks, but no thanks.

2c. Now let's relate this credit check to the position I applied for. A reception position, in which the description stated the duties were (also a direct quote) "setting appointments, taking phone calls and performing other administrative work." No working with cash, no relation to money at all. And what's this 'sensitive' information that's lying around the office and how come a background check doesn't cover that? Weeeiiirrddd.

3. What's up with linking me to a site for a "free" credit check and then telling me they need my verification number in order to set up the interview. And why the generic email to tell me all this? Why not talk to me over the phone for a minute and then decide on the next step?? COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!

Anyways, because I've got nothing to lose here, and this is obviously an email they send out to every applicant because they're probably not a real company and they're just trying to steal your identity (the website they gave me the link for just furthers this thought), I thought, well, how about I send a response, since I'm sure this is a valid email address for an actually employee of a real life soccer club!

So, this is what I sent him:

Diego,

If at all possible, I would love to come in for an interview prior to having a credit check ran. Because it can affect my credit, I'd rather do it as a last step in the interview process, where I'll have a better sense of the position and your company, and you'll have a better sense of how well I fit into the position.

Please let me know if that is possible, and if so, I'd love to schedule an interview for next week!

Thank you


Guaranteed that's the end of our communicating right there.

But, if not, you know I'll be letting you know. I'm HOPING this turns into an actual interview, just because it would end up being a kick ass story for this blog. Even if I'm employed by then, I'd totally still do it. Just for you!

Ummmm... PS. Spain's my World Cup team. If you couldn't figure it out. Now let's all send healing thoughts to Fernando Torres so he can play this summer!!!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could say I came across your blog by complete accident, but I was searching for childsoccer pro, because as it turns out, we were both offered the same job! Go us! In the year I've been hunt(tress)ing, this is the shadiest shit I've come across. I look forward to checking out more of your blog, intentionally.

    ReplyDelete