One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Friday, March 5, 2010

Kids. I don't know what's wrong with these kids today.

Here's a quickie before I leave you for the weekend.

I am not a fan of children.

Seriously, I don't really like working with kids. I've worked with them in shows, and they are whiny, they misbehave, and they don't know how to shut up backstage. So I am the shusher and I HATE, let me repeat, HATE shushing in any way shape or form. I was the kid who got shushed. Traumatizing. (And Drew, shushing me? Is not a funny joke.)

Anyways, children. I just am slightly uncomfortable and irritated by them. But here's the the thing. They love me. For real. Kids, for some reason, latch on to me. It's probably because I talk to them normally, instead of like they're kids. Or something like that. So, while I'm not a fan, I'm apparently good with them.

Which brings me to my point. I just got a call today about nannying for a 3-month-old boy. Apparently somewhere in my early stages of job hunting, I put all my info on a nanny website. So this woman saw it, for some unknown reason decided I might be a good fit, and called me.

Here's the thing. Babies are not that bad, provided they're not colicky and crying constantly or pooping all over the place. Which is kind of an oxymoron, I know. But really, they sleep and eat and poop (hopefully not a ton though). So maybe I could do it?

Anyways, I talked to the woman for a bit and she asked me to send her more info about my past experience. Which I did. After taking a few hours to come up with that. Which included calling my mother and asking her the names of the people I babysat for in high school. Oof. It's a stretch, but hey, I know how to talk myself up and I think my 'Nanny Resume' actually looks pretty good, even if the most recent date on there is 2004!

So, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted. And I promise, if I get the job, I will not ever write about the details of a poopy diaper. That's what your newly parenting friends on Facebook are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment