One gal's experience trying to find work in the big city...

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again (But backwards, like the Old Spice guy)

Sorry 'bout the silence, but I was out of town, without internet or phone access. It was archaic. And you should have seen me right before I had to turn off my phone on the flight... I was literally rapidly scrolling through Facebook to get my fix before I had to go without it for 5 days. Unbelievably pathetic. But the joy I had turning on my phone again after my trip made it all worth it.

This? This is why a job like the first one I blogged about, that Dating Company, would NEVER EVER EVER work for me. No computers, no thank you.

Anywho, I don't have much to write about here since I haven't had much of anything happen since that stupid modeling interview thing (which I never did follow up on, and which I never heard another peep from them about).

I haven't heard anything from the one job I'm still waiting to interview for. I never got a response to my email about hopefully rescheduling the interview she wanted to do on a day I was out of town. And I've yet to hear anything back from the follow up I sent yesterday about that rescheduling. Soooo... write it off? I'm not sure. I am slowly losing interest in the gig, but I don't want to give it up as a lost cause yet. Mainly because that's so depressing, as it's the last possibility I've got at the moment.

This is why I really can't write a lot today. Because it's so much less funny and so much more whiny when I don't have hilarious interview stories to share.

Ok, new subject. That was getting too annoying to handle.

I don't know if you realize this, but I am a HUGE Craigslister when it comes to job hunting. I'm sure you're all rolling your eyes at me now, since all of these crazy interviews suddenly make perfect sense, but there is something about the simplicity that is the organization of Craigslist that makes me so much more drawn to it.

So, with the month of the active job hunting I've been doing, averaging about 15 hours a week searching and applying to positions, guess how many Craigslist jobs I've applied to?

As of this moment, 45. FORTY-FIVE CRAIGSLIST JOBS.

I can't decide if that's an embarrassingly low number, or an embarrassingly high number. Or if I should be proud that I haven't been murdered yet. I'm going with that one.

And, to close this post, I'll leave you with a copy of a standard response I get for applying to a receptionist position on Craigs (outside of all the ones that immediately ask me to go fill out all my information on another staffing/job searching site that wants to link you to as many sponsors as they possibly can):

"Hello Applicant,

This is an online/work from home job, the Hiring Dept of the company has reviewed your resume and we believe you have the required qualifications for the job. Do you have a yahoo messenger on your computer? If not download one.
To proceed with this Data entry Clerk job position ,you must undergo an online interview that will be conducted via yahoo messenger.


I want you to setup a yahoo messenger (IM) and Instant Message the Hiring Manager Mr James York on his yahoo ID (james_work71@yahoo.com) asap for the interview so you can get interviewed for the position.

This is a full-time job with benefits and the hours are great, get started with the online interview process and get back to me as soon as possible.

Hiring Department
Mr. John David"

Receptionists typically mean front desk, right?? If anyone feels like 'messaging' the dude, go for it! There's something about interviewing for a position I didn't originally apply for over Yahoo Messenger that seems a little off to me. If only they had said gchat, then we'd be talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment